The Pennsylvania School for the Deaf (PSD) is a private, non-profit educational institution and regional resource center devoted to serving the broad needs of the deaf and hard of hearing communities in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
Founded in 1820 in Center City Philadelphia, PSD is a tuition-free school for 225 deaf and hard-of-hearing children in preschool through grade twelve (12). PSD serves a diverse community throughout the Greater Delaware Valley area.
PSD is reimbursed by The Pennsylvania Department of Education for school operating expenses, but must raise money for all enrichment programs, technology needs, and capital expenditures. Through many special grants and charitable donations, PSD is able to support its many activities which benefit our students and the deaf and hard-of-hearing community of all ages.
There are many ways in which you can and invest in us and the important work we do for our deaf and hard-of-hearing students and population.
10 Reasons to Give
- PSD is widely recognized as a center for excellence due to its innovative educational approaches
- We are efficient with 90% of every dollar spent on direct services
- Our school is the ONLY school serving deaf and hard-of-hearing students in the nation with RAMP designation
- Our student population is diverse and inclusive
- PSD offers an individualized bilingual/bicultural approach, whereby students learn in the most appropriate language for them. English (written/spoken) and/or ASL (American Sign Language)
- More than 85% of PSD’s instructional staff have Master’s degrees or higher
- PSD collaborates with many stellar institutions throughout the Delaware Valley whenever and wherever appropriate (i.e., Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia-CHOP, Mercy Vocational Technical High School) as well as other public and private schools for hearing children, several cultural organizations for both hearing and deaf audiences, parent groups and social service agencies
- Proudly, we are a NO PLACE FOR HATE designated school
- We give back! Through our many service projects each academic year, we model and provide these opportunities for connection and fellowship
- Approaching our 200th year anniversary in 2020, we remain dedicated to the role we serve as an educational provider in Philadelphia
PSD gratefully accepts gifts through the Donate button on the top right of this website, as well as by cash, check or appreciated securities.
PSD is eligible to receive donations through the United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania via the Donor Choice program (simply choose campaign #737). We are also eligible to receive donations through the Philadelphia Area Combined Federal Campaign (choose campaign #87714). PSD may also receive matching gifts from employers.
Stop by our school and donate in person as we’d love to see you!